|24 Liberty Street, Acton, MA 01720 — 978-635-1930
Our house and its companion on Martin
Street are two of the oldest houses in
Acton. They were built by two brothers,
about 1710, on land then known as the
Thousand Acre Farm. The original design
was a salt box, with two rooms on the
front (South side) of the second floor and
a long sloping roof in the back. About
1800, the roof was raised and three
rooms were added to the back of the
second floor, converting the design to a
center-chimney colonial. Indoor plumbing
was added in 1898, in two small rooms
attached to the back of the first floor.
At one time, the house had a wrap-around porch, in the Victorian style, which was later removed. In
the 1950s, an ell was added on the Northeast corner, housing the kitchen for Yankee Chef Caterers.
The ell was converted to a sun room in 1992. The Carriage House was added in 1995, on the other
end of the sun room, to accommodate a few modern conveniences such as coat closets, a garage,
and guest bedrooms.